Monday, November 10, 2008

Industry part 1



I just added "Industry part 1". Just a short piece that uses footage from "Master Hands", a 1936 documentary made for Chrysler. Again, it's multi-tracked theremin, recorded and post-processed on the Mac (GarageBand this time). The video was sliced'n'diced in Final Cut. The repeated percussion comes from an Apple Loops collects.

I'm still feeling my way with both the Moog Etherwave and generating the visuals. In fact, I'm feeling my way with all aspects of publishing on the internet! Maybe I'm a little late to the party, but I'm getting totally confused with the available vehicles for publishing my "work".

OK, so here we have a blog where I can rattle on and give some insight into the though process and maybe some technical details of the audio/visual production. YouTube seems to be the obligatory platform for publication of the work, and this blog thing seems to be reasonably well integrated for attaching individual videos to posts and having a selection on the sidebar. But what about MySpace? I've got an account, but I'm buggered if I know how to set it up properly. It all seems fairly redundant... except for maybe the MySpace community aspect. Apart from that, MySpace seems to have the most screwed-up business model and user-hostile interface that I've come across (maybe it's just me). So, for the moment, I'll stick to the blog for my keyboard diarrhoea (I can never spell that word... it's amazing what a Google search on "the shits" will produce) and YouTube for audio/visual content.

I'm getting completely bogged down with the public domain archives (www.archive.org)... there's so much great footage to use as source material that I can completely lose myself for an evening. Strange as it may seem, I still manage to find and use stuff that quite a few people have already used. I guess there's not as much "good stuff" as I thought. After I posted "Daughter of Horror" I did a YouTube search and found that the original movie is far more popular than I imagined. Maybe I need to look a little more carefully at what I select... dig deeper and find some stuff that a little less "immediate".

I guess it's the nature of the beast... we're given a cornucopia of source material that we all plunder for the "best" bits. It's early days... hopefully I'll develop my own style and technique that will leave me less derivative. I don't feel too bad about it though as it's all part of the learning process... but there's sometimes a fine line between inspiration and plagiarism :)

1 comment:

ElectroMungo said...

Nice vid, good athmosphere.
I think i used the same Prelinger archive Material for a Video two month ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJkt0JI7DlI

I used some synths, a drum machine and a Kees Enkelaar theremin,
all the best
electromungo